Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Montresor & Fortunato

It was last year when I wanted to seek revenge on my cousin. I had the perfect plan, I was going to continue to act as his friend and slowly lead him to the trap I have set for him. When he least expected it I got him! I don’t want to go into details about what happened, but I can relate to Montresor, the narrator of Edgar Allen Poe’s short story. The only difference between my situation and the narrator was I did not go to great lengths to do this, and I did not kill my cousin. In the mere beginning Montresor was already giving off hints that he is up to something “My dear Fortunato, you are luckily met…But I have received a pipe” (127) in this case pipe has the meaning of cask. He lures Fortunato with this line, and Fortunato wants the pipe.
They both head to a cave to look for the cask, now Montresor offers Fortunato a drink, purposely getting him drunk as they continue down the cave “My own fancy grew warm with the Medoc” (129) I believe Montresor meant that the more Fortunato got drunk, the more he grew excited which gave me a hint that Montresor might have some loose nuts in that noggin of his. He is slowly trapping Fortunato, and the poor guy does not know what’s going on, he believes that they are both out there to find the cask but when really Montresor wants him dead. Montresor wasted no time trying to kill Fortunato “I discovered that the intoxication of Fortunato had in great measure worn off” (130) This quote sort of threw me off, I was not sure whether Montresor wanted to kill Fortunato when he was drunk or when he was sober, because if he was to kill him drunk it would show that Montresor cared a little about Fortunato, because he does not want Fortunato to “fully” suffer. Over all I think Montresor is a crazy guy according to what I read and the reasons I stated above.

No comments:

Post a Comment